Home Featured Articles Ohemaa’s Journey

Ohemaa’s Journey

written by Ohemaa June 30, 2020
Ohemaa’s Journey

It’s true what they say about no birth story being the same. I’m a mother of two and I can confidently say I have experienced both ends of the spectrum when it comes to child birth, relatively easy (what they say popping out like a chicken laying eggs) and the “out of the world” painful birth.

Both pregnancies I must say had no complications, there was a day I told my sister-in-law I felt the doctor wasn’t paying much attention to me because other pregnant women could go into the consulting room and spend over 30 minutes with him but I go and everything is done in 10-15 minutes or maybe less. That was when she explained to me that the “wahala” some people experience “no be here”. The only annoying thing was the spitting. I had a special spitting cup with me all the time. I remember with my first pregnancy, I had to travel for a training in Oklahoma when I was about 3 months pregnant and I was always spitting in class but no one realized I was pregnant because most of the guys had their tobacco spitting cups too! It’s safe to say I was part of the tobacco fam then. LOL
Let me say this, my husband never, ever missed my doctor’s appointment in both pregnancies. Yes please, I’m a spoilt wife. He was so involved that he would count my Pregnacare tablets and other medications just to make sure I was consistently taking them because he knew how much I hate taking drugs. Fortunately, I was fit enough to work, so I went to work everyday until my son started showing signs of wanting to come out.

On the 8th of August 2017, at dawn, I kept tossing and turning in bed. I was feeling this pain in my abdomen but it felt like I had held in pee for a long time (I used to get that feeling a lot when I hold in pee) so I didn’t think much of it. Bear in mind I was 37 weeks 4 days pregnant so I didn’t think it had anything to do with labor until I saw the bloody show in my panty when I was taking my bath to go to work. I called my sister-in-law and told her what I had seen and she advised me to go to the hospital (I had work la!😂). Anyways, I told my husband about it and this guy was all over the place. Luckily, he had packed my hospital bag so he picked it up and we went to the hospital. I live in Takoradi but my actual hospital was in Accra. I planned to take my leave from work in my 38th week but my small “oga” decided to come earlier. We went to a hospital in Takoradi because it was our first pregnancy and we didn’t know what to expect (this is the hospital I visited during my first 4 months of pregnancy so I was a bit comfortable with it). We told them about the bloody show and I was taken into the ward by a mid-wife to check my dilation. We got there and she asked that I open my legs and I did. I saw her put on gloves to insert her fingers into my vagina and I immediately closed my legs! She kept complaining and I started crying. My husband came in and asked her what she had done to me, she said nothing and that I had refused to open my legs to allow her check my dilation. My big Oga told her to leave me alone and asked if there was any other way to do it, she responded by saying she was going to call the doctor. The doctor spoke to my husband outside and he came in singing “Ohemaa forgetti obiaa”. I don’t even remember how the doctor checked for the dilation but he finished without me realizing and I was told I was at 0cm.

My husband asked him if we could travel to Accra and he said yes and that it will take sometime for the dilation to get to 10cm. My husband asked me if I wanted to go to my hospital in Accra or stay in Takoradi. I said I preferred Accra because I didn’t like how I was treated by the mid-wife. We went home to get a few things. My husband was still panicking. Imagine this thick, tall man all over the place. This man actually took the things, locked me in the house and went to spark the car thinking I was in the car. He was actually leaving the precious cargo behind. My phone call prompted him that I wasn’t in the car and he came out rushing and apologizing and holding me like a baby. At this point, I wasn’t even feeling much pain. We drove to Accra and it was actually fun because my contractions were light. We went to the hospital, called my doctor and he spoke to the midwives who came in with a CTG machine to check my contractions which was very low. I was asked to spend the night so they could keep a close eye on me. I had a lovely roommate in my ward who is still a friend now and I bless God for her that night because we spoke about everything which ended up taking my mind off the contractions.

On 9th August, they asked me to stay till noon so they could observe me but the machine said my contractions were still very low and so I was discharged around 2:30pm with “false labor” recorded. The midwife told us to go and walk around at home and have sex! We went home and around 9pm I realized the contractions were getting quite intense so my husband called the doctor and he asked him to check the intervals and bring me in when it got 5 minutes close or so. We were not too far from the hospital. At around 11pm, the interval was 5 minutes so I got up to change my dress and that was when my sister saw the bed was wet-my water had broken. It didn’t gush out, it was just a leak so I felt nothing.

We went into the car and my husband was driving like a mad man. I kept telling him to relax and assuring him that I wasn’t in serious pain. My big sister was with us and I was just chit chatting with her. We got to the hospital and the midwives were surprised I had come back. I was so calm, they didn’t think I was in labor, they brought the CTG machine and read low contractions again. One of the midwives decided to check my dilation, that one too was another wahala, my mind was opening my legs but the legs refused to open lol! She talked to me and explained what she was going to do. She eased me into it and I finally allowed her to check and to our surprise, I had dilated 5cm!!! They were so shocked and rushed me into the labour ward to prepare for delivery. The intensity of the pain was increasing but still bearable. The midwife graciously asked if I wanted her to play gospel music for me. The music really calmed me. I asked them if I could sit under running water in the bath tub and they agreed. They put on the water heater and made me sit under the warm running water. It was so soothing. I was in the labor ward with my sister but did I hear someone say where was your husband? “Breda” was sitting outside shaking all over the place and just spilling water. I was told the doctors had to check his pressure and even the midwife came in and said “Auntie, with the way your husband is behaving, it looks like he is the one in labor”

So while I was still in the bath, I felt the urge to poop. I told the midwife and she took me out and checked the dilation again and I was 9cm, game time! Honestly, it was painful but not that painful. I was getting tired at a point because I had not had a good sleep for about 2 days. I was actually dozing off and my sister hit me to wake up. The midwife told me my baby had pooped in the sac and hence he needed to come out ASAP. That was all the fuel I needed to give the big push! Finally he was out, there he was, my prince. They took him out and all I could hear my husband say was

“How is my wife? How is my wife?”

They responded,

“Look at your baby.”..

But he kept asking how his wife was, over and over. He peeped into the room and saw me and smiled and then went to see his baby.
One thing I will like to add is that from the beginning of this pregnancy, I kept saying God will not give me pain that I can’t take and I kept that faith with me into the labor ward and God showed up and showed out!
He was out at 4:15am on 10th August 2017 and that was the beginning of an amazing journey.
It is truly a blessing to be his mum and hopefully one day, I will share the birth story of my baby girl on here too.

You may also like


Adwoa June 30, 2020 - 1:16 pm

The definition of spoilt wife! 😂 Loved it 💕

Eno June 30, 2020 - 5:36 pm

Very! lol

Comments are closed.